Avis and Hertz are making almost as much from oil as Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi.
The major car rental companies now have a policy where they automatically tack on a gas fee for rentals under 75 or 100 miles. This happens in the parking lot during the 1 minute express return, when you are trying not to forget your laptop, hoping not to miss the flight and your blackberry is buzzing – so Avis gets to have their cake and eat it too. These are your four options:
1. Support America Option. Fill up on gas before the return and pay the gas fee. You paid twice for the same gas, but only one payment goes to ibn Saud. And then please stop reading my blog, sucker!
2. Lazy Option. Don’t buy gas for rentals under the limit (75 or 100 miles). For the approx $15 they charge, you just about break even.
3. What I Would Do Option. Buy gas before returning the car and then make sure they deduct (show them the receipt) the automatic charge.
4. Abbie Hoffman Option. Don’t buy gas. Stop in the nearest gas station and buy a 6 pack of beer. Claim that you bought gas, show the receipt and have the automatic charge deducted. Remember to finish the beer before security or else they will.
What option do you like?
- Fall Foliage in Lake Placid, Lake George, Saratoga Springs, Adirondacks and Northern New York
- Fall Foliage in Roanoke, Asheville, Smoky, Blue Ridge, Shenandoah and Southern Appalachian Mountains
- Fall Foliage in Pittsburgh, Laurel Highlands, Alleghenies and Southwestern Pennsylvania
- Fall Foliage in Toronto, Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes in Western New York and South Central Ontario
Filed under: Car Rentals, Great Deals, Perks and Tips | Tagged: 20th Century Map, 21st Century Map, a listers, Airfare Deals, Cool Webapps, frequent flier, frequent flyers, hutzpah, longest flight, my theories and ideas, Newark NJ, Non Fictional, San Francisco International Airport, Sky team, Supershuttle, TAP Portugal, Travel Jokes |